SNAP-Ed NY is a statewide program that teaches people how to shop for and cook healthy meals on a limited budget. It is part of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which provides benefits to help income-eligible individuals pay for food.
NYSOFA provides SNAP-Ed programs to older adults at the statewide and regional levels in partnership with the New York State Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance. These programs are overseen by a team of Registered Dietitians and experts who specialize in nutrition for older adults.
NYSOFA's SNAP-Ed team hosts a monthly cooking demonstration on social media featuring delicious, nutritious, budget-friendly meals. The program also includes information about dietary guidelines, meal planning, portion sizes, and much more for older adults.
When: The last Friday of each month at 12:30 p.m. on Facebook
Watch: "What's Cooking With NYSOFA"
In the November edition of "What's Cooking With NYSOFA," NYSOFA Registered Dietitian Wendy Beckman shows you how to make brussels sprouts, apple and sweet potato hash.
"Ask the Experts: Nutrition Edition" is a monthly, interactive conversation with nutrition experts that streams live on Facebook. The program, led by NYSOFA's SNAP-Ed team, features guests discussing a range of topics at the intersection of health and nutrition, answering your questions live through the Facebook chat.
When: Second Friday of Each Month at 1 p.m. on Facebook
Watch "Asks The Experts: Nutrition Edition"
In this episode of Ask The Experts, our SNAP-Ed NY nutrition team dives into best practices for managing your diabetes with diet, as well as things you can do now to prevent diabetes.
- SNAP-Ed NY: How to Liven Up the Winter with Fruits and Vegetables (November 18, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: What You Can Do to Manage Your Risk of Diabetes (November 1, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Improve Your Diet with Mindful Eating (September 22, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Food is Fuel, Fill Up Thoughtfully! (September 1, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Hike To Stay Healthy During Parks and Recreation Month (June 14, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Celebrate Summer with NYS Fruit and Vegetables! (May 12, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Windowsill Gardening Basics (April 1, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: A World Full of Flavors for National Nutrition Month (March 1, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Tips for A Healthier Heart (February 1, 2022)
- SNAP-Ed New York: Set Goals for Your New Year (December 31, 2021)
This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). This institution is an equal opportunity provider.